Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Undying Flame

I saw her eyes finally connect to mine. The vibrant orbs had grown weary and worn in the long few years. The once beautiful golden skin had begun to fade. The lush dark curls had loosened and tangled. The elegantly shaped body had started to thin and shrink. The smile, however, was as warm as the setting sun across the way.

The one thing I will never let go. Nothing will take away that fire within that keeps her fighting. She still sees the life around her and revels in the fact that she is able to continue on. It is that fire that has pushed her forward. Her body has begun to fail, but her soul burns brighter than ever.

I started to feel water trickling down my cheeks and fall to the cool floor. As I moved closer to her I could feel the intensity and passion in her. I never wanted that warmth to leave me. She raised a cool hand to my face to wipe the tears away. Another smile shined across her face; her own trail of tears soon following. We stood there in the sun’s light entranced by the fiery sensation between us.

“You’re late,” she whispered into the air. She leaned into me and nuzzled my chest, letting the warmth into my own being. The tears fell harder as I curled around her to preserve the flame. “I’ll keep you safe… I promise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment